With the Padres High Performance Program (HPP) and the NEZ Community Winter Camp currently on pause due to current public health guidelines, a Padres HPP Zoom Session Series will run throughout January to maintain player engagement and continue developmental opportunities. Players, coaches and parents are encouraged to register and log on to all sessions or pick and choose those of specific interest. This free offering is intended for those registered in Padres HPP (current or previous) or who have or intend to play within NEZ / Edmonton Padres or EABA / Edmonton Angels (rep or house league – all ages welcome).
Preregistration for sessions is required (registration links are listed below):
- Wednesday, January 6, 7:00pm-8:00pm – Pitching Fundamentals hosted by John Sutherland and Conner Toffan
- Details: we will overview the technical aspects of pitching (mechanics, pitch grips, pitch design, drills) as well as tactical and mental aspects (pitching ahead, managing pitch count, pitch sequencing, pitching to counts/hitter types, communication/signs from catcher, holding runners, fielding the position).
- Registration Link: https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZ0sde6prDwvHdQf2qxD6rFzwbT6h_OdiHkq
- Sunday, January 10, 7:00pm-8:00pm – Growth Mindset hosted by Chris Chelmick and John Sutherland
- Details: we will overview the growth mindset (what is it, why is it important, how to achieve it) and the Edmonton Padres development-first philosophy that is a key focus within Padres HPP and with the Edmonton Padres teams.
- Registration Link: https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZYodOioqjojGdIMG6ywmsJ-51-3hwiHk-Uo
- Wednesday, January 13, 7:00pm-8:00pm – Hitting Fundamentals hosted by Alberto Gonzalez and Josh Hillis
- Details: we will overview the technical aspects of hitting (grip and stance to swing and finish plus drills) as well as tactical and mental aspects (preparation, working counts, reading pitchers, tracking pitches, offensive strategies and execution).
- Registration Link: https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZclf-GpqjIuE9LhhqvWvyVaRO6r93RkwAUP
- Sunday, January 17, 7:00pm-8:00pm – Alumni Updates hosted by John Sutherland featuring HPP Alumni in College Baseball
- Details: we plan to reconnect with Padres HPP Alumni who have moved on to college baseball to discuss their experiences and advice for younger players looking to follow in their footsteps.
- Registration Link: https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZ0pc-usqz0rH9B1CZQSR5V36WxVTHE45aK0
- Wednesday, January 20, 7:00pm-8:00pm – Catching Fundamentals hosted by Ryan Bird and John Sutherland
- Details: we will cover the technical aspects of catching (set up, positioning, receiving, blocking, footwork, throwing) as well as tactical and mental aspects (pitch calling, game management, infield signs, working with pitchers).
- Registration Link: https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZcvfumqrjwqHNHnr9BRH26Ly8gECawmXW90
- Sunday, January 24, 7:00pm-8:00pm – College Baseball Recruiting featuring Darren Honeysett of Next Play Athletics
- Details: Next Play Athletics is a Canadian organization dedicated to simplifying the recruiting process for athletes interested in playing college athletics in Canada or the United States. This session will focus on the basics specific to baseball.
- Registration Link: https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZMrdOmurTojHNCTfHFSY6j6rkmqkOYJ_H9e
- Wednesday, January 27, 7:00pm-8:00pm – Fielding Fundamentals hosted by Alberto Gonzalez and Josh Hillis
- Details: Coach Alberto will focus on the technical aspects of infield play and Coach Josh will focus on the technical aspects of outfield play. Both will also touch on the tactical and mental aspects of fielding such as situational awareness and adjustments.
- Registration Link: https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZYoceCqrjgpHNEzaCYZImBjmUnLgGq5uktr
- UPDATED TIME: Saturday, January 30, 5:00pm-6:00pm – Featuring former Cuban National Team Coach Rolando Verde
- Details: join Padres HPP Coach Alberto Gonzalez as he connects with Cuban baseball legend Rolando Verde. They will discuss topics such as baseball in Cuba, international competition, professional baseball and player development.
- Registration Link: https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZcrf-CrrD8oGdAFnEYAPE_AG86DJQeEdNcJ
- Sunday, January 31, 7:00pm-8:00pm – Strength & Conditioning for Baseball featuring Michael Kicia of Acumen Performance
- Details: Mike spent over a decade working as a strength and conditioning coach in professional baseball with the New York Yankees and Miami Marlins organizations. During this session, he will focus on the importance of athleticism and arm care for the baseball athlete as well as provide details about his college and professional baseball experiences.
- Registration Link: https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZEvfuqorDstHtXPEqYfBODEfP5K1AFQkfSF
- Sunday, February 7, 7:00pm-8:00pm – Featuring former US Women’s National Team player Donna Williams
- Details: join Lexie Kinniburgh, NEZ Girls Baseball Director as she connects with Donna Williams to discuss her experience growing up playing baseball and competing at the international level with the US Women’s National Team. Lexie and Donna will also discuss opportunities for girls in baseball and connect with some of the girls playing with the Edmonton Padres. This session is open to everyone and would be especially inspirational for girls currently playing or interested in playing baseball this season.
- Registration Link: https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZcsdOmqqjktGtE_B1s2d4zoUd5yujmQQN8Z
For any questions and session ideas or for technical issues during sessions, please contact: