REGISTRATION: 2021-2022 Padres High Performance Program
Registration is now open for the 2021-2022 Padres High Performance Program (HPP) – players register for and participate at the level in which they’ll play in the 2022 season. This program provides elite development in a group-based, academy-like format with primary focus on technical skills as well as speed and agility, strength and conditioning and mental skills.
Proudly constructed under the Edmonton Padres brand, players from across the region are welcome to participate in HPP. Our Technical Staff is made up of highly experienced and certified coaches, many with experience playing and/or coaching at the collegiate level. Any coaches in the region looking to build their experience may contact John Sutherland at firstname.lastname@example.org to express interest.
High Performance Program Overview
Period 1 – Learn to Train (October 25 – November 21)
- 4-week period to establish routines, introduce sequences and return to fundamentals while placing a priority on proper mechanics and drill setup – minimal throwing (return to fundamentals).
Period 2 – Train to Train (November 22 – December 19)
- 4-week period of increased intensity with focus on perfection of sequences and a priority on proper mechanics as intensity builds (fundamentals with intensity).
Period 3 – Maintenance (December 20 – January 2)
- 2-week period over the winter school break to maintain strength and conditioning, speed and agility and technical gains while managing caloric intake (active holidays).
Period 4 – Train to Compete (January 3 – January 30)
- 4-week period to introduce the arm strength program with a focus on throwing mechanics as well as an introduction to competitive situations (situational awareness).
Period 5 – Train to Win (January 31 – February 27)
- 4-week period to continue building arm strength while conditioning for tryouts through game-like situations and a competitive environment (live-on-live competitions).
HPP Strength and Conditioning Overview
At the 18U and 15U levels of HPP, Acumen Performance led by instruction from Mike Kicia will provide elite level strength and conditioning for athletes selecting this option. The sessions will progress in a linear fashion throughout the offseason. Each phase of training will build upon the previous one with necessary recovery weeks and retesting taking place throughout the program. Athletes will be led appropriately into the tryout period which kicks off the baseball preseason. Options will be available for athletes to continue their training with Acumen throughout tryouts and the regular season. For 13U, Acumen will provide core strength and mobility programming to be facilitated by our Technical Staff.
Acumen Performance is made up of a team of specialists who are experts in strength and conditioning, specializing in one-on-one, small group and team training. The team of providers adheres to the Sports Medicine Model of care. Strength and Conditioning coaches of Acumen integrate with Athletic Therapists and the Orthopaedic Surgeon to provide essential and extended care for each individual and their goals.
Mike Kicia is a Strength and Conditioning Specialist with a tremendous background in baseball. Prior to returning to Edmonton, Mike spent 7 years working within the New York Yankees Player Development System coordinating aspects of rehabilitation of acute and chronic injuries, strength and power development and speed and agility development with players in both the Major and Minor Leagues. Mike also played collegiately at PBA in Lethbridge and the University of Mount Olive in North Carolina.
HPP Life Skills and College Readiness
The sport of baseball provides naturally for many life lessons, both on and off the field. The High Performance Program will enhance that by way of incorporating various Life Skills topics throughout the program. This will provide our athletes with a more well-rounded and enlightening experience through volunteerism, presentations, small projects and mentorship from community subject matter experts. Topics have previously included: Financial Literacy, Resume Writing, Leadership & Public Speaking, Community Engagement, Youth Mentorship & Coaching, Athletic Health & Nutrition, Sports Psychology & Goal-Setting and Baseball 101 sessions.
Beyond this and included within the Life Skills offerings will be an emphasis on post-secondary prep. Whether striving to play college baseball or simply to achieve post-secondary academic success, the Technical Staff will facilitate opportunities for our student athletes to participate in experiences for post-secondary preparation as well as to receive guidance related to post-secondary interests (academics and athletics). Additionally, the program will assist players interested in college baseball with goal-setting/targeting, connecting with programs and the recruitment process.
- Tuesday: Acumen Performance Centre – 5:00pm-6:15pm
- Wednesday: 5 Tool Fieldhouse – 5:30pm-7:30pm
- Thursday: Acumen Performance Centre – 5:00pm-6:15pm
- Friday: 5 Tool Fieldhouse – 8:30pm-10:30pm
- *Sunday: 5 Tool Fieldhouse – 6:30pm-8:30pm
- *Will switch to Saturdays at 12:00pm in January/February at TTC
- Monday: Acumen Performance Centre – 6:00pm-7:15pm
- Tuesday: 5 Tool Fieldhouse – 8:30pm-10:30pm
- Wednesday: Acumen Performance Centre – 6:00pm-7:15pm
- Thursday: 5 Tool Fieldhouse – 7:30pm-9:30pm
- *Sunday: 5 Tool Fieldhouse – 5:00pm-6:45pm
- *Will switch to Saturdays at 12:00pm in January/February at TTC
- Wednesday: 5 Tool Fieldhouse – 7:30pm-9:30pm
- *Saturday: 5 Tool Fieldhouse – 4:00pm-6:00pm
- *Will switch to Saturdays at 1:30pm in January/February at TTC
HPP Registration Options (split payment options are available)
- 18U HPP (Baseball + Strength Training): $2,500.00
- 18U HPP (Baseball Only): $1,750.00
- 18U HPP (Strength Training Only): $850.00
- 15U HPP (Baseball + Strength Training): $2,500.00
- 15U HPP (Baseball Only): $1,750.00
- 15U HPP (Strength Training Only): $850.00
- 13U HPP (Baseball + Core Strength & Mobility): $1,250.00
- 13U HPP (Baseball Only): $875.00
NOTE: we pride ourselves on being the most flexible program in the region and to working with multisport athletes. Please connect to discuss your specific situation and how we can build the program to fit your needs and availability around other sports and activities. Some options have included prorated payments for pre-scheduled sessions, HPP Winter (January/February sessions only) or a combination of the two.
For 11U could we just do Saturdays 4-6pm at 5Tool?
Is there anything for U11?